Monday, June 30, 2008

Be brave

Scott had the privilege to judge planning entries for the Jay Chiat awards a few weeks back. He had this to say:

Good planning needed to help create and inform the development of ideas beyond the basic creative idea, identifying details that create and guide executional possibilities.

But, he said that few if any entries really achieved this planning objective.

The core of an original idea either failed to develop beyond the strategy or ended up in a conventional execution.

I love this. It inspires me to be more courageous in meetings where brand management argues against an idea because it's unconventional and "not what the client asked for."

I think his definition of good planning is what the new generation of planners seeks to achieve but we're running into a system that doesn't like to be shaken. I'd like to think that my courageousness could inspire a client to risk and be different, to standout, but...the ideas we can come up with beyond basic creativity, I find, need to be shelved for a later day or another client.

Can brave wait?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

What an interesting line we walk as brand and consumer advocates, nestled between those who must be client advocates and those who must be idea adocates. You're certainly aware of what it means to really be brave and stand up for what should be killer strategy - and more why that doesn't always happen. What I take from your post reminds me a bit of why I still subscribe to a fitness magazine that seems to always spew out the same basic information each year: the things I read remind and inspire me, much in the same way your friend has inspired you. That perfect balance between idea, consumer and client is a delicate one and - particularly in larger agencies - difficult to achieve. But it's nice to be reminded that it is a noble thing to strive harder for. Thanks for reminding me.